Saturday, November 2, 2013

The Internets ARE good for something...

One of the things I have been trying to work on for a long time is to get out there and meet people; specifically to meet and date people.  This is especially hard when working full time and being a mom full time, and living in a place that is a bit limited in social opportunities.

My good friend Roja has, pretty much since I met her, tried to convince me to try online dating.  She has gone on some nice dates, and some not-so-nice ones, and was even dating someone exclusively for quite a few months.  After our last Nacho Night, she basically peer pressured me into creating a profile on one of the online dating sites.  And as Mr. Gaiman says, I need to be willing to make mistakes in all aspects of my life, including love, which for me has been the hardest area in my life to be willing to put myself out there and be ok with making a mistake.

When I tried to sign up for an account it turned out that I had apparently created one quite a few years ago B.C. (Before Child).  And I don't remember doing it.  Luckily I didn't really do anything with the account, so there weren't any horrible photos or profile statements to get rid of.  One thing that amazed me was the sheer quantity of apparently single men in this town.  And the creepy things they feel they can send to a girl in a message.  But it wasn't all bad...

I redid my profile on a Sunday.  I got a really nice message from a guy, let's call him Barbado, on the next day, Monday.  On Friday of that week we had our first date.

And I have disabled my online dating profile.  Barbado is pretty amazing.  We have a lot in common, and we have a lot of fun together.

Now, if I can only guilt trip him into running with me... :-)

Today's Run

Today I dropped The Boy off for his Gym & Swim class, and I went for a run on the Lakewalk.  It was an OK run, but I think my body is adjusting to adding more workouts to my week and so my pace isn't where I'd like it to be.  Today I ran about 6.1 miles in 56:10, for an average pace of 9:08.

For the month of October I ran a total of about 54.5 miles, spending over 8 hours running.  Not too shabby.  For the year, after today's run, I have a total of about 465 miles in, and will need 54 more miles to surpass last year's total!

No comments:

Post a Comment