Thursday, November 28, 2013

Happy Turkey Day!

It's the official American holiday of overindulgence, so of course that means I ran a race this morning. This is the second time I've run the Gobble Gallop 5k here in Duluth, and I must say the first time was a better experience than this time.  Some thoughts on this race:
  • There were a LOT of people out for this race, over 2000.  Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem, but the walkers and runners were in one big group, so I spent a good portion of my time bobbing and weaving around the walkers.  Which is no good when in the back of your mind you want to PR...
  • The swag was pretty nice.  Runners got a really nice long sleeve tech shirt, which is good for winter running, and some coupons to local stores.  I especially appreciate the $20 off a new pair of running shoes.
  • The route was flat and fast, as it was down and back on Superior Street.  Which would have been good for a PR, but see bullet #1
  • I didn't partake in any of the post-race food and beverages, as I was a meat popsicle and just wanted to get inside. But from what I understand it was fruit, bagels, water and coffee.  Pretty standard fare.
  • One huge bonus is the race offered free child care during the race on a first-come-first-served basis.  I have never seen another race offer this, and I was grateful for this as I did not have anyone to watch The Boy.  He said he had a good time as well.
  • The price was a bit high for a 5k, at $30 for the registration with the tech shirt.  Part of the proceeds go to the Second Harvest Food Bank, which kinda makes it worth it.
I'm not sure if I'll do this one in the future, as the whole walkers not lining up at the rear thing kinda pissed me off.  Plus the price is at the top end of what I want to spend for a 5k.  Besides that it was put together well and is a race Duluthians need to try at least once.

As for this holiday, I am thankful for so many things in my life.  I great job that allows me to work a normal schedule and still provide for my family.  A roof over my head, and food in my belly.  Friends and family that care for me, and that I care for in return.  And this year, I am most thankful that I met a special someone, someone that is truly amazing and that I am so extremely happy to have in my life.

Today's Run

Today I ran a 5k (approximately 3.1 miles) in XX:XX 24:11, for an average pace of X:XX 7:47.  I started a bit back in the pack, and did not see the clock as I was passing the finish line, so I have to wait for the official results to know how I did.  Which feels weird and is liberating at the same time.  It was extremely cold out this morning, and the wind was brutal.  And I saw a lot of people from last spring's running group at the race, and it was nice to catch up with all of them.

*Update 11/28/2013: Just got an email with the official results.  Definitely not a PR, but way better than I thought I had done.

No comments:

Post a Comment