Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Ooh! Shiny!

After hours and hours of research, I have decided on the GPS running watch that I wish to purchase.

I went into this whole thing with an open mind, without a prejudice for brand or model.  The more I read, and the more I talked to people, the consensus was that Garmin makes the best GPS running watches out there.  They are more likely to connect and hold onto satellites, and provides the kind of data I'm looking for.

As for the specific model of Garmin I have decided to purchase, I wanted something that wasn't too basic, but that didn't have so many bells and whistles that it would piss me off and I'd stop using it.  And so, I would like to present my new shiny toy that I hope to get before the end of November:

Shiny!

This is the Garmin Forerunner 110.  It will show your distance, time, average pace for the last mile, average pace overall, and heartrate if you wear the heartrate monitor (which I probably won't).  I like that it doesn't appear to be so huge that it will be like wearing a 5 pound weight on my wrist, and that it is controlled by easily pressed buttons, which will be useful when wearing gloves in the winter.  I haven't been able to find any information on how it will hold up in the cold, but I'm hoping that it will since I will be out when it's up to -10F windchill (or even colder depending on other factors).

Today's Run

Today was rainy and drizzly, and I ran the same route as Monday as I couldn't be bothered to do anything else.  I'm still chilled, and it's been hours and it really wasn't that cold.  Today I ran up the Big Hill, approximately 3.5 miles, in 31:45, for an average pace of 8:52.  Better than Monday, but I know I can move it much faster up that stupid Big Hill...

No comments:

Post a Comment