Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Back in the Saddle

My shoulder has gotten to the point where it doesn't hurt all the time, just mostly when I try to do anything other than just move it.  Trying to sleep is the worst - I think I tried to lay on the bum shoulder last night in my sleep and woke up this morning in a lot of pain.  Getting hurt like this really makes me think about how old I am....

Since I'm such a trooper and won't let a little bit of pain get in my way, I decided it was about time that I went for a run.  Just around my neighborhood, on paved surfaces (no pesky roots to jump up and get me), with the Big Hill.  It's so amazing how good I feel when I'm out for a run: my nose stops running from my stupid allergies, my muscles stop aching, my bum shoulder stops hurting, I feel awake and alive.  It's runs like today's where I realize the amazing potential of something as simple as running.  THIS is why I run - to feel ALIVE.  To have all the little annoyances of life just melt away, and it's just me moving to my own rhythm.

And then.... I stop running.  The faucet opens up where my nose used to be.  My muscles argue with me and my shoulder asks me what I was thinking.  And there's the insane amount of sweat.  I didn't think my body could produce that much sweat.

But for that briefest of times - amazing.  So I will do it again and again to get back to that place.

Today's Run

Today I ran the 3.2 mile circuit in my neighborhood in 30:45, for an average pace of 9:32.  Not too shabby, all things considered.  The running didn't seem to aggravate my shoulder at all, and it forced me to not flail my arms around too much, which is a bonus.  Back in the saddle again, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment