Wednesday, February 5, 2014

I definitely have the winter blues

This has been one hell of a winter.  Cold. Snowy. Cold.

Did I say cold?  Yeah, it has been that.

I guess I've been pretty spoiled as far as winters go since moving the the Great White North.  Sure, last winter there was snow on the ground in April - but it wasn't terribly cold, like below 0F for the highs for days on end.  The year before that was downright pleasant considering the years after that.  And I hate to say it, I think this winter is really affecting me emotionally.  I find myself extremely unmotivated, like to the point where even going for a run, something I really enjoy, is a chore that just needs to be finished.  Sure, it's happened previous winters, but nothing like this.  Most days I don't even want to get out of bed.

At this point I need to find something to kick myself out of this funk.  Short of moving further south, the cold weather is here to stay for a while.

I'm open to suggestions.

Please.

Yesterday's Run

Yesterday was interval training, again.  5 minute warm up, followed by a half mile "hard" effort (it's difficult to give it your all when the footing is so sloppy), 3 minutes jogging, one mile "hard", 3 minutes jogging, and repeat the half mile and mile "hard" effort.  I'm pretty impressed with how I did.  This is what the Garmin registered:
Graphs are fun!
 
I could just analyze the raw data, but I'm feeling pretty lazy.  Instead I've drawn a red line where I approximate the average to be (ignoring the huge spikes - no GPS unit it perfect of course), and it looks like my hard effort, on sloppy footing, is around 8:30 pace, which is pretty darn awesome for this early in training.  So, for this run I went 4.64 miles total in 42:42, for an average pace of 9:12.

No comments:

Post a Comment