Tuesday, February 11, 2014

About this thing

When I first started this journey of Doing Something, of training to run my first full marathon, of pushing myself out of my comfort zones and trying new things, I started this blog. Which, for me, was a pretty big deal because I am putting myself out there; I have no control over who reads this or what they think about me or my process or what I write.

But then I kinda chickened out. I only told a handful of people about this blog. I don't have it linked to my google account. I am still, essentially, in my little world just writing for myself. Except for that one reader in Germany...

That changes today.

If one person reads my stories and then feels inspired to go out and Do Something, then I've succeeded in Doing Something. If someone reads this blog and gets inspired to run their first full marathon, then I've succeeded in Doing Something. Heck, if someone reads this blog and is inspired to start running period, then I've succeeded in doing something. And isn't that the whole point of what I'm doing here?

So for the people new here - Hi, and welcome on my journey! If you're entertained, or inspired, or even annoyed, feel free to share. Start at the beginning, learn about why I'm Doing Something.

It's going to be an interesting journey.

Today's Run

Today's group run was fartleks, which I am finding out that I really enjoy. Short bursts of hard effort, two minutes-six times today, followed by a recovery is challenging and fun at the same time.  Looking at the Garmin, my hard efforts hovered around the 7:00 mile pace; the first was closer to 6:30, the last around 7:45.  Given the poor footing and insane headwind on the way back, I am really happy with my effort. I am especially pleased with how much I was able to reign it in on the recovery, averaging around 10:00 pace.  Today I ran a total of 3.83 miles in 35:00, for an average pace of 9:08.

No comments:

Post a Comment