Thursday, February 13, 2014

Could I actually do it?

Today at work, I had CPR/First Aid training.  For the third time in less than a year (don't ask).  Every time I take this class, which is required for my current job, I always ask myself the same question:

Could I actually do it?

Could I do what is necessary to potentially save someone's life?

I have been fortunate enough that I have not had to test myself in this way, but the prospect of administering first aid to someone that has been in an accident, or perform CPR on someone that's had a heart attack, is pretty scary and daunting.  Your action, or inaction, could cost the person their life.  Do I want that on my conscience?

But, in the end, I hope my strength and willingness to help other people would make its way to the forefront and I'd be able to do what was in my power to help someone else.  I've definitely taken enough classes to know what I need to do.

Today's Run

It snowed today in the Great White North, the first significant snowfall in quite a while.  And even though the Lakewalk was plowed at some point today, the footing was really REALLY bad, and so no records were set.  Today's group run was a simple workout, 5 minute warmup, 20 minute "brisk" run, and 5 minute cool down.  My "brisk" pace was definitely not what I know I'm capable of; today I ran 3.1 miles in 30 minutes, for an average pace of 9:40.  But I was out there, which is more than what I lot of other people would do.

No comments:

Post a Comment