Tuesday, January 21, 2014

I think I almost had a heart attack

I was going to write about something else, but something more pressing occurred: I think I may have broken my Shiny.  My Garmin.  The splurge for my birthday that I am so excited about.  Yeah, that thing.

Tonight was really cold, like practically 0F cold, but I still decided to do the group run instead of hitting up the dreadmill.  It's easier to suffer when you're in a group.  Anyway, the owner's manual for the Garmin said to not use it below temperatures of -4F - it doesn't say if that's air temperature or wind chill temperature.  The windchill had to have been well below -20F.  I took the owner's manual to mean air temperature, and so I wore it.

Before the run it took a little longer than normal to connect to the satellites, but I chalked that up to it being cloudy.  It worked just fine once it connected, and I'm pretty confident in the distance it told me since I've done that route many times before.  So all was good.  And then I got home.

I wanted to pull the data from the Garmin right away so I wouldn't have a repeat of Saturday; I plugged it in, it made the noise saying it was connecting to the computer.  But when I tried to download the data, the computer said nothing was connected.  What?  I heard the noise!  Lo and behold, when I looked at the Garmin, the screen was blank. 

THE SCREEN WAS BLANK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The screen is never blank.  I looked at the owner's manual, and it said to not charge the battery when it's below 41F.  Uh oh.  It was definitely colder than 41F - it was outside for an extended period of time in the single digits.  When it is plugged into the computer it starts charging.  Then the manual said that if it freezes up to hold a button down until the screen goes blank, then press and hold the same button until it turns on again.  Tried that.  Multiple times.  Nothing.

So, now it is sitting, hopefully warming up and will be ready to use on Thursday.  Otherwise I need to go through the warranty thing and hopefully get a new one.

Sigh.

I need a hug.

Today's Run

I luckily saw, and remembered, tonight's distance before all hell broke loose.  Tonight was a 20 minute run, and I did 2.22 miles, for an average pace of 9:00.  If Thursday is this cold I may just give in and run on the dreadmill at the Y.  Maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment