Saturday, December 28, 2013

Meeting the family

One of the big things I have done during my running mini-sabatical was to go down to the Cities and meet the rest of the BF's family, including his parents that flew in from far, far away.

For most people, this wouldn't be a big deal.  But for me, the most assuredly introverted and extremely shy one, this was pretty much about as nerve-racking as just about anything.  I was afraid I'd say the wrong thing.  I was afraid I'd say too much (I'm a nervous babbler, which makes for very interesting job interviews).  I was afraid I wouldn't say enough.  I was afraid I'd come off as not genuine.  I was afraid I'd have something stuck in my teeth.

But in the end everything turned out just fine.  Having someone that loves and cares and supports you by your side makes all the difference in the world when having to Do Something as personal as meeting their family for the first time.  Sure, I was still a bit nervous, but it wasn't overwhelming and I'm pretty sure I made a good first impression.  With all his family, even his parents.

It probably helped that I gave them a cookie package.

Sure, this wasn't as adventurous as going trail running or trying out a new class at the Y, but it was something that pushed me out of my normal comfort zone and I feel I have conquered it.  Until I have to meet the rest of his large, extended family, of course.

Today's Run

It was finally warm enough out that I didn't have to dreadmill it, that I could finally go for a run outside.  I was cautiously optimistic that the city would have plowed the Lakewalk enough that the run would be pleasant.  Yeah, I was dreadfully wrong.  There was a good 1-2 inches of slush pretty much along the whole length that I ran.  No ice really, which was nice.  But running in slushy snow is supposedly like running on sand, except a) slipperier (which is a word, dammit!); b) wetter; and c) much, much colder.  Needless to say I took it pretty slowly as to not risk injury.  Also, it didn't help that I forgot to bring a sports bra with, which made for a very uncomfortable run support-wise.  Oh, and I got to finally use my Garmin for the first time since December 2!  Today I ran 5.92 miles in 59:52, for an average pace of 10:07.  SUPER slow, but it was just nice to be able to get outside.  And since the highest high for the next week is projected to be 12 F, with most of the week in below 0 F range, it looks like it will be a while before I'll be running outside again. :-(

No comments:

Post a Comment