Sunday, March 2, 2014

You may be right, I may be crazy...

It takes a special sort of someone to voluntarily go outside when it is below 0F outside. It takes an even rarer beast to voluntarily go outside when it's below 0F and go running. I guess I am that rare beast.

When I signed Barbado and myself up for a fun run to be held on March 1st, the idea that it would be frostbite-inducing cold on that date didn't even cross my mind. So when I woke up Saturday morning, and saw the forecast for the day was a high of 0F with a wind chill warning for the whole day (where you could get frostbite in 20 minutes or less) I seriously questioned the wisdom in participating in a fun run outside.

In the end, Barbado and I decided to participate in the 3rd Annual Mustache March Run. This is a 2.65 mile fun run on the Lakewalk where it is (essentially) required that you sport a mustache of some sort. I think mine is much better.

Post-run.  I look smashing with a grey 'stache.

Thoughts on this run:
  • There was a HUGE turnout considering how ungodly cold it was out. Which is pretty awesome.
  • At $25, the entry fee was a little steep for a fun run. But part of the proceeds went to Wildwoods, a non-profit that aids injured wild animals, so that was pretty cool.
  • Instead of a t-shirt, you get a pint glass as swag. AND a beanie. Both of which are pretty cool looking. And more usable than a t-shirt. So bonus on the swag.
  • Finally, there was a ton of awesome prizes awarded randomly for participating in the run, and the best mustaches got a prize as well. Barbado won a gift card to Duluth Running Company, which I covet greatly. Oh, and you got a free pint at Pizza Luce too.
Would I do this fun run again? Possibly. The only negatives were the weather, which can't be controlled, and the entry fee, which made up for itself if you won a prize. So I guess it will come down to how I'm feeling next February as to whether I will do this one again.

Yesterday's Runs

That's right - runs PLURAL.  In the morning, when it was a blustery -8F outside (with wind chill to boot) I went on my normal Saturday group run.  Since I knew I was going to be out in the evening running/jogging again, I decided to do the shorter workout.  In the morning I ran 4.54 miles in 40:00, for an average pace of 8:48.

In the evening, at the balmy temp of 0F outside (still with wind chills), I did the Mustache March Run.  This one I purposely stayed with Barbado, since this was his first week back into running and he's a trooper for agreeing to do this with me. Needless to say, there was a bit of walking involved, but much less than I had anticipated, which is pretty awesome for him.  In the evening I walked/jogged 2.65 miles in 27:17, for an average pace of 10:17.  Kinda messes with my average pace for the year, but it was a LOT of fun and I'm glad I decided to keep pace with the honey.  Even though he cut me off at the end and claims he won.

No comments:

Post a Comment