Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Obsession

I am probably like pretty much every other runner, or person that considers themselves a runner, out there and has been obsessed with this year's Boston Marathon. Not just because of what happened last year, but also because of how amazing American distance running is becoming once again.

I have been reading tons of articles, some new, some old, about running marathons, and the people that run marathons, and pretty much anything I can find right now about marathons. Something one person wrote really struck a chord with me. This guy, Mike Cassidy, finished the New York City Marathon with Meb Keflezighi in 2013 and he wrote an article about it that I found on letsrun.com. (http://www.letsrun.com/news/2013/11/time-life/) I hope he doesn't mind my blatant theft of his words, but what he wrote was so eloquent that I have to repeat it here:

I’m a believer that running brings out the best in people. Running inspires. Running unites. Running uplifts. By pushing us to our limits and across them, running takes us to places we never thought possible—or even real. A good run can turn a dark day bright and make a bright day shine brighter. Performed on the scale of a marathon, running can transform communities and change lives.

I could not have said it better myself. Running, in and of itself, is a very selfish sport, but it has the ability to be so much more. I have met some amazing people running. I have accomplished so much because of my running. This time of year it has the ability to take over my life, and in the end I am so much better because of it.

I joke about Boston qualifying in my first marathon, but when I think about it, really think about it, finishing in under 3:40:00 is indeed possible. And after what I've seen and read this week, if I do Boston qualify, I want to be a part of it all and I will try to sign up to be a part of the Boston Marathon in 2015.

First things first - I need to get through this week's training schedule.

Today's Run

Today's group run was a time trial - where you get assigned a bib and are timed to get an idea of where you're at. The time trial distance was 6 miles, and I was hauling ass on the way out, to the tune of 3 miles in 23:30. But when I turned around, it was like someone put the brakes on my legs and I just couldn't keep going. I was disappointed to say the least. Today I ran 6 miles in 47:59, for an average pace of 8:00. Good thing a full marathon is about sustaining a manageable pace, not going as fast as possible...

No comments:

Post a Comment